Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 26 - The rotary calf machine

Today I went back to the gym again for some more stationary bike time.  I've started upping the intensity of the ride to the point where I break out in a good sweat, which I haven't done in a while.  I started on bike that has your legs somewhat in front of you, but I find the version where your legs are underneath you to be more effective.

Either way, both are boring.  I need to start bringing a book with me.

The other thing of note is that I decided to try the rotary calf machine (shown here).


Normally I'd skip right past this thing and head toward the version that you stand on.  But since that's not really an option for me right now, I decided to try it (with no shoe on) to see just how much strength I had in my leg.  I tried with the smallest weight setting - 10 lbs.  It hurt like hell during the first few reps.  I had no idea that my calf lost so much muscle while I was in the cast.  I did 4 sets of 15 reps; the last set I added an extra 5 pounds.  And at the end, I actually felt better.  I think this is where I'll be spending a lot of time for the next few weeks as I build up strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment